People love to sleep. It does not matter what culture they come from, how old they are, or what they do in life, people treasure the ability to sleep and to sleep well. A lack of sleep can make or break a day. When someone does not sleep well, they are more likely to be impatient with their friends and family, have difficulty concentrating on their work, and lack the motivation to get through the day. If you are someone who has a hard time sleeping, consider making these 3 changes:
- Rearrange the bedroom. How your room is set up can affect how well you sleep. In general, people sleep better if:
- Their bed is situated to where they are able to see the door of the bedroom at all times. If the back of the bed faces the door, causing a person to be unable to see the door, it tends to increase a person’s feelings of insecurity.
- There is not a desk in the bedroom. By having a desk in a bedroom, people tend to feel like they are always at work. No desk in the bedroom makes a person feel like a bedroom is truly a room for rest.
- There are no bright colors. Bright colors are going to make people feel awake and more anxious. Look around your bedroom and replace the bright colors with neutral colors. The neutral colors will help you feel more relaxed and at peace, helping you sleep better at night.
- There are good window shades. People sleep best when the room is dark. Check the curtains, shades, and blinds you have covering your windows. Make sure that they provide you with the darkest room possible.
- Get rid of any items that light up. Any type of electronic device that has a light that stays on during the night is going to be a distraction. That item is going to keep you from optimizing your sleep. The computer light that keeps blinking, the alarm clock that stays bright, or the phone that lights up with every text is going to disturb your sleep. Either replace the device or place it in a location that will not affect your sleep.
- There is no clutter in the bedroom. The more things you have in your bedroom, the harder it is going to be for you to have a good night’s rest. A cluttered bedroom can result in feelings of stress. The more belongings in a room, the less likely a person is going to have a sense of rest and comfort when being in his or her bedroom.
- Use a sleep pattern tracker. There are a number of different technology appliances that can be used to help you become aware of what is causing you to have trouble sleeping. Fitbit, Apple Watch, Samsung and a variety of Android-based watches can help keep track of your sleep patterns. All of these systems are going to be able to help you know the duration of your sleep and whether you had trouble maintaining sleep throughout the night. Some technologies can even monitor the lighting, the temperature, humidity levels, sounds, and substances floating in the air as you sleep. Once you know the levels of each of these different factors, you can make changes to the environment you are sleeping in. For example, you could discover that there are extra dust particles in the air in your bedroom. Without realizing that, you would not have known that the dust particles were then affecting your allergies, which then caused you to not sleep well. The goal is to help you find the root of why you are having trouble sleeping.
- Stop using your technology so late at night. Studies indicate that there is a correlation between the use of technology at night and trouble sleeping. From retirees to working adults, all the way down to elementary students, it seems that everyone nowadays has a piece of technology they use on a daily basis. Most people take their technology to their room, to their bed, and use it until they are able to sleep. The problem is that as people use their technology right before bed, it causes them to have trouble sleeping. When people are continuing to work as they lie in bed, read the news, or browse through Facebook, their brains are engaged. Once the technology devices are turned off, the brain is still processing through the information that it just gathered which, in turn, keeps the person from being able to fall asleep right away.
There are many reasons why people are unable to sleep at night. Making the three changes above is going to help you sleep better at night, but it won’t necessarily solve all of your problems sleeping. Having caffeine late in the afternoon, living in a noisy neighborhood, or going through a difficult time is also going to contribute. The first step is finding out what is causing you to have trouble sleeping. Once you figure that out, you can work at fixing the cause.
Search Homes on Chunyk Group Instantly! Discover 1000s of Homes Below.